Saturday, July 25, 2009

Last weekend


Last weekend I was in Philly with my lovely sister, BFF Courtney and 2 of Katie's running buddies from Baltimore for a 24 hour race. This was the race I was describing a few posts ago when asking for your money :) It was an AWESOME experience! First of all, it was so fun to channel our inner 12 year olds and basically have a sleepover (sans sleep, just like the old days). We were camped out on a gym floor and subsisted on peanut butter crackers, swedish fish and these huge, random soft pretzels for the weekend.

We each ran a total of about 25 and a half miles on a nice flat course around the Schuylkill River. It was a HOT day but we made it. It was so inspiring to meet a few of the Back On My Feet success stories, and to watch the people around us run ultra marathons! They made 26.2 seem like a warm up and it gave me a new confidence that it is a pretty manageable distance.

I think I slept about 20 minutes total in the 24 hours and the 2:30 am leg of my race was not the easiest thing I've ever done, but I would definitely do this race again. Who's in next year?

Here are some pics that sum up our weekend.
Our team name was Run Hon, so we of course had to dress the part :)

This look just never gets old...

We had a few supporters on the course!

Probably around midnight...

Katie with her pal, Tate, a BOMF success story :)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Nah...I was running from 11:20 until close to two, so that couldn't have been midnight. Guessing much later. :)

Such a fun adventure. I am definitely in for next year!

Any excuse to slumber party it up with you!