Tuesday, September 7, 2010

This weekend we...


Did what any super cool 30 something couple does on a Friday night and went to see Jonathan Franzen give a reading from his new book, Freedom, remarking that we were thankfully still among the youngest people in the audience at a geeky, bookish event. People asked questions just to ask questions and at times it was awkward. He said something interesting about taking comfort in things that are managed by adults/experts, like real newspapers vs wikipedia. I appreciated that insight.


Got up early and drove to Tennessee to go white water rafting and mountain biking. Our friends said their cabin was the first right past the paved driveway on Calvender Road. Paved. Not. We probably should've taken the truck instead of the Jetta since a steeply inclined, deeply rutted, gravel covered hill was a fair match for German engineering. But we made it. Sunday morning we left them and went to Ellijay, GA for our first Patagonia training hike. I didn't have all 45 pounds in my bag for this hike, but it still gave an idea of what the extra bulk might be like. Not too bad. I felt like we were so badass, hiking through the wilderness on a trail called Bear Creek (ooh, scary) until we met a couple of three year olds and their grandpa skipping along the trail, and a lady with a baby in a weird ropy sling wearing flip flops.


Refueled at the restaurant that is the real reason anyone goes to North Georgia, Colonel Pooles BBQ. I think it's where Republicans go to die. We stuck out a little as we were not A. dressed in church clothes and B. obese. But it is some dang good food and they have a pig mobile.


Spent the remainder of Sunday packing away the camping gear til next time, making a pizza with all the left over veggies in the fridge, getting the mountain washed off the car, and watching Sherlock Holmes. That is a crazy movie made by some talented people. Except for Rachael McAdams' hair and makeup.


Made a huge brunch on Monday, I painted and made good use of the remote's Previous Channel button toggling between the US Open and a Hoarders marathon. Then Brett tried to coach me on not looking like I was "chasing seagulls" when trying to catch a ball. We have joined an adult kickball league and I don't know what the HELL I was thinking. I am horrible at team sports and I know this about myself! I guess I thought it wouldn't be too competitive. People in their 30s should not care who wins a kickball game played in a park on a Tuesday night in cheap, scratchy t-shirts, followed by cheap, scratchy beer, but they do. I am giving it a few games before I quit, thus spending lovely weekend afternoons, that are meant to be devoted to sitting quietly by the pool, trying to avoid ridicule. Feeling a David Sedaris moment coming on. Oh, and we also decided it is ridiculous when you ask someone what they did yesterday and they start with, "Got up..."


Capped off the holiday weekend with Mad Men (yes I know we had sworn it off, but we caved and have been watching on iTunes). I have been disappointed with Mad Men this season, I think if I had started watching it now I would never understand why people love this show. But the season is SLOWLY gaining speed and DD is as hunky as ever. Now I need a few more days off...

3 comments:

Zoo Keeper said...

WOW! You guys are serious over-acheivers! I sat my arse in a chair and read trashy smut most of the weekend! (that and drank so much coffee I'm sure to be up until this coming weekend...)

And how "intellectual" AND "granola" of you guys too! I'm sufficiently jealous! ; )

L said...

I love your use of "cheap scratchy beer." I love that I know exactly what you are talking about. See you soon...

Anonymous said...

Ummmm... you're not quitting this kickball league. Don't leave me alone with these women...