Saturday, April 4, 2009

Mmmmmm...

Yay! My tastebuds are finally back. In celebration, we tried a new place down the street last night. A gastro pub that actually does an ok job of feeling old and authentic, even though its in a gritty old Poncey-Highlands plaza sandwiched between a nail salon and Chipotle. I think we may have ordered a little too adventurously though, the food was trying a little too hard and mostly missing. Trout mac and cheese was, um, trouty and a little funky. The chicken wings were too anatomical: in my opinion, wings should be cooked beyond the point of recognition, otherwise, they are just a small, greasy drumstick. These had no spice, and too much gelatinous skin. The celery was the best part. Brett's smoked chicken salad on rosemary foccacia was lackluster and dry, the cole slaw was oily. One tasty thing was my fish sticks with artichoke dipping sauce. They had a thick, crunchy batter and a nice cubed shape. (Are you thinking, dang, they ordered a lot? Yes, we did. In honor of my tastebuds.) A good mix of kid food with gourmet oompf. 

The hight light of the meal was definitely my beer. An 8% alcohol cherry ale. Sooo good. Verry cherry. And a bit of an investment, $8, yikes! 


Mmm, like being back in Michigan...

Next time you are out and want a slightly girly beer, or want to feel cool and not order your usual PBR, Pinot Noir, or whatever you're drinking these days, try a Kasteel Rouge. What are your favorite drinks?

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I am on a sangria kick, but I did have a couple of delicious, very spicy bloody marys at brunch today, and they made me very happy!

Glad you're feeling well again!

Along the Ausable said...

Yay for the return of your taste buds!

Mmmmm...Mango Margaritas with a cinnamon sugar rim!

L said...

I like perfect storms...