Monday, January 17, 2011

bath time!



We have had some set backs to our bathroom remodel, so while we finally have a toilet after about 9 days, it'll soon get to relive its glory days as hunk of non functional ceramic art, beautifying our living room in a sort of Marcel Duchamp/R. Mutt tribute. In other words, it's getting ripped out because the floor needs to be redone. In the meantime, I'm focusing on the prettier side of bathrooms: (although as toilets go this one is a stunner) mirrors and other accoutrements.

Today I picked up three mirrors at Target, I'm going to try to keep this on the cheap. Option one is just a plain, frameless beveled 18" edge round, $19. I like the simplicity of it, but think it might be a little small. The second is a larger round in a metallic wood frame by Thomas O'Brien, on clearance for $56. The frame color doesn't match the other chrome finishes in there so my plan would be to paint it with the same paint I used for the new closet. I painted a teensy swatch on the bottom edge just to see how the color looks in there are I am liking it. It is sort of my whimsical option. Third is a rectangle mirror with a mirror frame, $29. It is really classic looking, I think it would let the tile and fixtures be the stars, and it will work well with the light fixture. Hoping to post more on this project soon, along with the $29 cabinet we found to add storage to the room. Yes, $29!

Above are some other style elements I will try to work in. The blue is the color of our closet and a deeper version of the color of our living room walls. I don't want to paint the bath walls this color (too much of a good thing) but I definitely envision this fitting in somewhere... This is our new light fixture, bought on clearance from Restoration Hardware, except we have fancy black shades. The LOVE sculpture I own, I bought the milk glass lotion pump today at Target (bye bye Aveeno bottle), and the artwork is something I've had my eye on. Imagine my surprise when I received a similar print from a photographer friend this Christmas! I'm loving this fabric, it is just from cheap-o Ha
ncock Fabrics but I think it is so mod. I seem to buy wire baskets every time I go antiquing. That is our new faucet! It was a splurge, but I think it will be worth it! And I just love that monogram style. Towels? Toilet paper? Kidding. I do have an idea to frame a piece of tp that I managed to salvage from the unruly (not) Weezer crowd. I mean Rivers Cuomo touched it! Hopefully it will all look as good as it does in my head.

photo by Alex Martinez

No comments: