Wednesday, January 13, 2010

the little things



Do you know what this is? Um, it's Barbie furniture. By Jonathan Adler. I would like to say I would have killed for this as a kid, but I probably would have thought it was just weird. My dollhouse décor was really more of a nice mix of eighties country chic with a few nice accent pieces from My Little Pony, a bible June and I used in a kick-ass English project in eight grade, and service for 4 from the Barbie Camping Dinnerware Collection.

Oh how I loved that doll house. Legend has it that my dad and uncles waited until the last minute and were putting it together Christmas Eve when I was 4 or so. I suspect there were a few beverages involved and the doll house was never quite finished to her lovely faux Victorian balsa wood kit glory. But that's ok, I still loved it. There is something intriguing about miniatures, don't you think? I am amazed by detail that can be achieved on a small scale and how we can own things in their tiny versions when we've maybe never even seen the real thing. I have a tiny version of the Robert Indiana Love sculpture that was $5! Gotta love $5 art.

a little love in the kitchen

Oddly, I find cast off minis all the time. I was one of those kids who was always touching stuff and picking crap off the ground. Once I found a squirrel's tail on a walk with my family and I brought it home and saved it! Nice. But another time my mom and I found $110 in 5 minutes on a walk. Really nice. Here are a few things I have found lately: the minute monster hand, petite piggy and teeny dice came from my apartment yard a various times in the last three years; the mini marlin fish is from the beach in Mexico and the baby Barbie shoe is from the beach where we spent our honeymoon.

this little piggy...

This is a strange post, eh? Oh well. This is just a day when I am stuck in my kitchen, glued to CNN watching the horrors that people are suffering. Strange post, strange day. xoxo

6 comments:

L said...

I was in love with this when I was a kid. I'd like to visit again.

eyeheartorange said...

that is so cool!

Courtney said...

I love this post, T! I have turned into the mom who is saying "don't pick that up!" a lot of the time...but definitely don't want to put out any creative flames. :)

Off to put the pile of sticks that have been pulled into my kitchen, back in the yard.

eyeheartorange said...

just as long as he leaves any abandoned animal appendages on the trail you should be good, C! Might be fun to make a cool shadowbox of the stuff he finds someday. xoxo

JuneBug said...

you'll have to jog my memory on said English project!

one time i reached down (on Regan Rd) to pick up what looked like a porcelain bird figurine, all white. Turns out it was just bird poop. My mom laughed and laughed at me...

And when we first moved in here, Lili went around the backyard picking up little "pebbles". Turns out they were rabbit pellets. I guess a thing for wildlife waste runs in the family :)

eyeheartorange said...

June, it was that log cabin we made out of a shoe box for some English project for that crazy teacher, Sally Something. Remember? We worked on it at your house and it was extremely detailed; I'm pretty sure we got a 100 on it. Too bad we didn't blog then, it would have been a post for sure and then you could just peek back in my archives :)