Friday, January 1, 2010

ski trip!


Ski bums

Some differences between the last time I skiied
(probably in 1998?) and now:

Rental gear now is way nicer than the gear I owned then.
My calves fit into the boots better, thank god.
I am no longer fearless, way more cautious.
I did a test run on the bunny trail. They have this new thing called a magic carpet that has thankfully rendered the T bar obsolete.
I drank wine in the lodge.
I sat between 2 boys on every chairlift ride.
I didn't match and didn't care!
I was scared for other people's children. Especially the three year olds bombing down the black diamonds.
They don't use the sticker and paper clip thing lift ticket anymore, now it's this hi-tech paper and a plastic zip tie :(
I noticed all the parents skiing in jeans and old jackets and ratty equipment while their kids were decked out in designer outfits and brand new gear. Gotta love parents.
EVERYTHING is logoed, sponsored or a place for advertisers to catch your eye.

There was the hum of everyone having a great time in the lodge and on the slopes, scurrying along to wherever they needed to be. I had lots of flashbacks to hauling gear on the ski trip bus, the time my dad set all of our locks to the wrong combo, eating fries, drinking cocoa, quarters for the lockers, and driving home from Titus Mountain in Megan's Taurus, singing along to Alanis Morrissette and feeling safe and warm. Oh, and spending actual cash money, all wadded up in the awesome ski wallet hanging from a cord around my neck!

Us with some weird parasite that infected us out there!


1 comment:

Along the Ausable said...

Oh, I totally agree with you on being scared for other people's children. I spent all of yesterday at Whiteface protecting my cousin's 5 and 7 year old. If I ever have children, they will NEVER go during holiday madness. It made me realize how lucky I am that I can drive 6 miles to the mountain during a non-holiday period and share a gondola ride with only my hubby wearing non-matchables. :)