Saturday, November 22, 2008

10th grade Tera would freak


We are going to Costa Rica in a few weeks and it hit me that I have nothing but the most basic of bathing suits and that since this is my first tropical vacation, I should at least try to look the part. So I turned to that most trusted purveyor of beach wear, J Crew, to see what's hot this century because the last time I was excited about buying a bathing suit was circa 1996. 

To my delight, almost everything was on clearance! 
So I went a little nuts and ordered 17 separate pieces, planning to return a bunch, figuring that since they were $9.99 each it was well worth the shipping cost. 

goodbye, basic black!

Fast forward to yesterday when the box arrived at my cubicle and I actually opened it right there at my desk to paw through all the pretty patterns and sexy shapes! 

I just want to pause and give a shout out to my 15 year-old self. 

Dear Tera, 

I just wanted to let you know that by now, we actually feel good in a bikini. We still want slightly larger breasts and slightly thinner thighs, but for the most part, on most days, we feel pretty great about what all 5 feet, one quarter inch of us can do and we promise to keep doing what it takes to stay that way. It's not always easy, some days are harder than others. But just know that it will get better and eventually you will be 29 and happy with yourself. Oh, and I know how you drool over the J Crew catalog every night and that mom only let you get that one pool blue, underwire bikini, but don't fret, when you're 29 you can have whatever you want. And by the way, I still have your NP sweatshirt and the quilt from your bed. Now go study, because it's not Thanksgiving break quite yet and I'm pretty sure you have a Pelkey test on Monday.

Love, Tera 2.0

5 comments:

JuneBug said...

that has got to be one of the sweetest posts, ever. i feel honored to have known tera 1.0 and hope to see some pictures of the final suit pairings. and have a blast on the beach!

eyeheartorange said...

thanks, JB. It felt good to write a little note to myself. I wish I could get a note from me at 60! Or hey, even 30. Sort of like the Time Travelers Wife.

Courtney said...

I love it! I love who we've all become over the years, and love that we all still have our fantastic friendships through all of the changes.

Hormonal much, C? Um, yes, but this almost made me cry a little bit.

Unknown said...

Actually Tera, it did make me cry. All I can picture is you and your friends, all clad in various colors and styles of jcrew bikinis, running to the dock at the island to dance to Greased Lightning for the tour boats. Funny thing is, I still have that pool blue underwire top bikini right here in my bottom drawer. I just can't seem to let it go. Memories are great - thanks for bringing a special one to me today.

L said...

I have the happiest memories of my teenage years dancing on your dock in my red gingham J-Crew bikini (first I ever owned)....